Tattoo & Piercing Care
At 514 Ink Montreal Tattoo & Piercing Shop, we take tattoos and piercings aftercare very seriously. Below you will find some general instructions on how to take care of your new piercing and/or tattoo.
Tattoo Care Instructions
- Avoid submerging your new tattoo in water for at least three weeks (e.g. soaking on the bat, swimming)
- Avoid exposing your new tattoo to direct sunlight. Ink tattoos have no sun-blocking capabilities and will burn. Once your tattoo has healed, you must always cover it with sunblock or it will fade.
- If a scab forms over your new tattoo, do not pick it.
- Do not re-bandage your tattoo.
Tattoo Healing Directions – Days 1-5
- Wash your hands and remove tattoo bandage within 1-3 hours after tattooing.
- Wash your tattoo with mild soap and water. Use a washcloth if necessary to remove excess lymph.
- Pat dry with a clean towel or paper towel.
- Apply a thin coat of H2Ocean, Bacitracin Zinc Ointment USP or Lubriderm.
Tattoo Healing Directions – Days 6-14
- Apply a non-perfumed skin lotion with vitamin E whenever skin feels dry
- Good hygiene habits will assist in the healing process of your tattoo.
Piercing Aftercare Instructions
- Wash your hands prior to touching your piercing during the healing process.
- Do not touch your piercing unless it is for cleaning purposes.
- Clean your piercing once a day in the shower. Use a cotton swab saturated with After Pierce or H2O Solution and remove any crusted matter from the jewellery and/or the area surrounding the piercing.
- Do not let anyone touch your piercing during the healing period.
- A little redness and a white scab or discharge is expected and totally normal.
- Do not use alcohol, peroxide, ointments, creams, moisturizers, hand-sanitizers, perfumes, sprays, powders, oils, sunscreens, or hair products near your piercing.
- If you lose your piercing jewellery or it falls out, we will pull it back in (if possible) and a service charge will apply.
- Avoid hot tubs and public pools during the healing process.
- Check your beads daily to make sure they have not become lose.
- For all body piercings, it is advisable to use ice to control any swelling that may occur.
- Avoid tight fitting clothing which might irritate a new body piercing.
Oral Piercing Care Instructions
Avoid the following for the first eight (8) weeks:
- Smoking: we realize this might be hard to do for smokers, but understand that if you continue to smoke, your oral piercing will take a lot longer to heal. If you can’t quit overall, then try cutting down.
- Dairy Products: ingesting dairy products might increase piercing swelling and soreness.
- Drugs & Alcohol: drug and alcohol use during the healing process may cause excessive swelling and slow healing.
- Spicy Foods, Citrus Fruits and Juices: these may cause burning and irritation.
- Open Mouth Kissing and Oral Sex: do not let your piercing come into contact with another person’s fluids during the healing process.
Tongue and Tongue Web Piercings
Healing time for tongue piercings varies between 4 to 8 weeks. To clean, use Seat Salt Oral Rinse or After Pierce. Clean your tongue piercing after eating, drinking or smoking for the first 4 weeks. Normal symptoms after piercing your tongue include a swelling period of 2 to 10 days and some whiteness of the tongue.
- Use a shot glass: For every rock of sea salt, use 1 1/2 ounces of water, then rinse in your mouth for 30 seconds at least 3-4 times per day after consuming anything other than water.
- Oral hygiene is very important. Always brush your teeth and tongue, including the bottom of the barbell at least twice a day. Floss regularly.
- Tongue jewellery should be changed to a shorter barbell 4 weeks after being pierced to avoid any problems with teeth and gums.